Wednesday 8 January 2014

Social fiction: The Day Everything Went Wrong

Created by Caitlin graham 

http://writingprompts.tumblr.com/post/40145566386/678 

Social fiction account 

Instagram 1
@annabella_xox0 note: last one is a zero
Http://Instagram.com/annabella_xox0#

Instagram2 
@courtneyjames_1
Http://Instagram.com/courtneyjames_1#

Not account megannnp is not my account but is part of my project.

The Day Everything Went Wrong


I looked in the mirror and all I saw was gorgeous. A brunette haired goddess, not a hair out of place, with the perfect amount of make up and a  purple ombré coloured dress to contrast my slightly tanned skin. Today was going to be perfect. More then perfect even, it was going to be the best day of my life. Today I was graduating from high school. After 12 years of paper cuts from textbooks, loud hallways and staying up until you get that pain in your stomach just to finish a project I was done. I could here my parents calling me from downstairs, yelling me it was time to go. I walked carefully down the stairs careful not to trip over the long dress I was wearing. My dog jazz ran dashed passed me and I was careful to step out of the way In time.

"Wow," my boyfriend Sam said "you look amazing Annabella."

"Thanks," I replied smiling at him.

 We had already had our ceremony earlier this morning. Thanks to the amount of time it had taken to get back to my house and for me to get ready neither of us had eaten and we were both starving. Sam held out his arm for me and walked me to his car outside. Just as I was about to get in the car my mom yelled at me.

"Wait, take a picture before you go!"

Sam and I turned around. He put his arm around my wait but it seemed slightly awkward. His smile seemed forced and everything seemed weird for a moment. I let my mind go blank waiting for my mom to take the picture. All I could here was the sound of our neighbourhood, some birds and a far off lawnmower. I heard the flash go off. It was like in that moment everything had paused only to be started again by the camera taking a picture. I got in the car and we drove to the dinner. It was a slow quiet ride. I thought about Sam's forced smile and how things had been weirded lately. We hadn't seen each other outside of school in weeks and whenever we did it seemed like he was always annoyed with me or bored. He parked the car and turned to me.

"So," he said looking at me "are you ready for this or what?"

"Ya let's go," I replied
 
We walked in and went to our table. The guys talked to each other about whatever guys talk about. The girls fawned over the other girls dresses and talked about who was already drunk. I wished my best friend Courtney was sat at our table but she was all the way across the room sitting with her boyfriend, she looked like she was having a great time. So I got to sit with girls I only tolerated and that I only liked a bit. Then there was Megan who was sat across the table from me. I couldn't stand her she was always so mean to everyone. I could hear her rambling about something so I just tuned her out.The food was good but not as good as the stuff I was used to having. I was a vegetarian and these vegetarian meatballs did not even compare to my moms. The dinner dragged on and Sam and I didn't speak to each other once. When it was time to go I quickly went into the bathroom to change into a short pink dress. I looked into the mirror again looking at how the dress perfectly went with my brown hair. I walked out to the car where Sam was already waiting for me with a weird look on his face. I got into the car.

"Annabella I think we need to talk," he said quietly, his eyes on the stering wheel. 

"If it's about how great I look we can talk about it when we get there, so let's go go go!" 

"No," Sam said looking at me "it's about us. It's about the fact that I don't really have that spark with you anymore. I'm bored of us. I think maybe we should take a break over the summer, see other people and find out who we are. Then in fall we can see if we are going to work. It's not you its me, it feels like I don't know who I am when I am with you. I'm sorry."

I looked at him, tears starting to form in my eyes.

"Just drive me to party."

"Ok," he replied quietly.

The ride to the party was uncomfortably quiet. I was doing my best not to cry but It was hard. That's  three years of my life I wasted with him.  Three years of my life I would never get back. We got to the party and I booked it out of his car. I could her Sam behind me calling my name, calling for me to come back. I walked into the house and threw back 10 shots of a bitter tasting liquid and that was all I remember.

There are 60 days of summer. Day 1- 30, sleeping in my bed all day with the covers pulled up above my head and curtains shut and leaving my room once a day to stock up on food. I didn't even have to leave it to use the bathroom because I had one in my room. During those 30 days anytime my parents dared approach my door as they would get the full yelling treatment from me. Day 30- 56. Sitting in my bed watching sad movies and eating ice cream. I know it's cliche but it's what I wanted to do. On day 58 my mom came into my room and sat on my bed well I watched the notebook for the 8 millionth time. 

"Annabella," she said " I know your upset about Sam but you have two  days of summer left. I already went out and bought you your textbooks for university's so you don't have to do that. You made your time table already so your all set for university. Why don't you go up to the cabin with Courtney. You know Courtney right? I'm only talking about your best friend that's been calling twice a day everyday since summer started." 

I groaned. I thought about the lake. How much I missed my room at the cabin, how much fun I had swimming with my friends and the great parties that happened at the cabin down the road. Then I thought about my comfy bed and ice cream.

"Fine il go."

"Great," my mom smiled " I already told Courtney you would go she's going to be here at 7am tomorrow. So go get packed." 


She dashed out of the room before I could object. I was just starting to return to doing nothing when she ran back in with a white plate of salad

"Here," she said "it's vegetarian Caesar salad from your favourite restaurant. And don't pack later, pack now or your going to forget something."

She ran out of the room again. I grabbed my duffel bag from  under my bag and threw in shorts yank tops and bathing suit getting ready for the lake. I thought about all the trips we had been on together. Courtney and I had gone to Cuba together, Disney and even banff. My favourite had always been Disney though. Our families had gone down together and we had spent the whole trip together, awing at the beautiful flowers, swimming, and just being kids at Disney. 

At 7 on the dot the next day I heard a car horn honk and my best friend yelling at me.

"Get out here right now Annabella because we are going to the beach!"

My mom was waiting at the door for me with another salad. After eating one yesterday I had forgotten how much I liked salads. They were the easiest thing for a vegetarian to make and eat. I peaked into the container. It looked delicious. I slowly walked out and put my bag in the trunk of her car. I saw tons of food in there along with her bag.

" Are you ready to go? Because I'm so ready for this!"

I looked at her still tired from getting basically no sleep. 

"Yep ," I said "I'm ready."

The drive took 2 hours she cranked the music. I tried to close my ears and tried to drown out Miley Cyrus. Finally she spoke

"So I saw Sam the other day."

"Really," I responded pretending not to care.

"Ya," she said "he seemed really out of it. He looked almost sad."

"Good. That means he's as destroyed as me."

I put my sunglasses on and settled in for the ride ready to began my life over again.





No comments:

Post a Comment